Thursday 3 September 2015

Out of Date Makeup | Time for a clear out!


Hello everyone! I hope you are all well, today I am writing about makeup and its expiry date. This topic has really interested me and I hope you find this useful.

You may have read or heard some articles in the media recently about makeup going out of date and becoming dangerous by harboring nasty bacteria which can make you ill. Some of you may not even know that makeup goes off because it isn't very clear on packaging. Now, I always knew you were meant to bin makeup after a certain amount of time using it but never knew where to find this information. All I really knew was that every six months I should replenish my favourite mascara. But there is a little symbol on the back of most makeup with a number and the letter 'M' next it. So I have taken some pictures of the back of some products and thought I would share what to look for and as soon as I heard this news of hideous bacteria I cleared out all my old and out of date makeup which was much needed! 


 Base




Garnier Matte Moisturiser- 12 Months
Loreal Primer- 12 Months
Loreal Infalliable Powder- 24 Months
Loreal Infalliable Matte Foundation- 12 Months
Maybelline BB Cream- 12 Months


Eyes




Urban Decay Naked 3- 12 Months, that's right, only one year! :( 
Loreal Smokey Eyeliner- 24 Months
Loreal Telescopic Mascara- 6 Months

Blush, Highlighter & Setting Spray



 W7 Blush- 18 Months
Mary Lou-Manizer- 12 Months
Avon Setting Spray- 12 Months

Lips



Rimmel Apocalips- 24 Months

I recommend, writing down on a piece of paper the date you open it so you can refer to it to see how long it has been. I know it is time consuming but it is worth it because you don't want to risk the bacteria making you ill. Did you know that perfume can go off too? It will be on your bottle as well, my Library of Fragrance will last 18 Months and Calvin Klein's Reveal will last me 3 Years before going nasty! I really wish all products could last two or three years because if you love it, it is a shame to bin it but necessary none the less. I hope you enjoyed this post, let me know if you are going to have a clear out or analyse your makeup like I did. This article talks about the medical side of things, click here to read more. It is really interesting and as you can tell I have enjoyed checking my makeup and clearing it out because not only does it feel good to get rid of old makeup that's lying around, it is good to know it isn't going to hurt me or make me ill! The only sad thing is, I should only really use my Naked palette for four more months :( I hope you enjoyed this different type of post. Love, Liv xox



4 comments:

  1. I found this post so useful and didn't know what the 'm' on makeup stood for!

    - Jess xxx

    Heyitisjess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad it was helpful! Yes I never realised too, I assumed it was another measurement for the product haha. Thanks for reading. Liv xx

      Delete
  2. I loved this blog post so much it was so helpful. Your photography is amazing and I never knew that makeup could go out of date let alone be bad for you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm glad it is useful! Aw thank you, I always think my photos look funny haha. Thank you for reading, Liv xxx

      Delete